The essential elements of characterbuilding and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
I therefore agree:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth,
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety
of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of Homenetmen Ararat Chapter.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage
sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive
support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or
other sporting event.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any
official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; or using profane
language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and
of the athletes.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to
hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with
respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that
my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his or her
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard and make my child feel like
a winner every time.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or
losing a competition.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over
winning. I will also deemphasize
games and competition in the lower age groups.
- I will promote the emotional and physical wellbeing
of the athletes ahead of any
personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question,
discuss or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with
coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco and
alcohol, and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices,
unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
- I will do my very best to bring/pick up my child to the practices & the games on
time. In case of absent notify the team parent, the coach or Homenetmen Ararat
Athletic office an hour prior to the activity.
- I will notify in writing of an 18 & under athlete membership cancellation or voluntary
termination to the Homenetmen Ararat Chapter office.
I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be
subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to the following:
- Verbal warning by official, head coach, and/or head of league organization
- Written warning
- Parental game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file by organizations
- Game forfeit through the official or coach
- Parental season suspension.